The goal of the workshop is to bring together specialists in the field of gender studies in STEM and science researchers. In the workshop, we expect the former specialists to educate the latter on the current problems related to women in STEM, starting with an overview of the present situation and culminating with the exposition of research-backed personal actions and policy making for the rapid achievement of gender-equity in scientific research. Complementarily, STEM researchers who have actively contributed to a more egalitarian academia will share their past experiences and ideas for the future. By the end of the workshop, participants will ideally be aware of the main challenges faced by women pursuing a career in science research, as well as efficient overcoming strategies, and they will hopefully be inspired to take on an active attitude to the subject.
The first day will introduce the topic on a general basis, establishing the relevant nomenclature and providing inspiring examples of past actions. The second day will concentrate on the current obstacles derived from power and gender dynamics. The third day will be devoted to the thinking of what a gender egalitarian academia entails, emphasizing the prevention of sexual harassment.
All ORIGINS members, including graduate students, early career and senior researchers, as well as administration employees. Additionally, the workshop will be open-access. Hence, everyone with an interest is welcome.
The workshop will be hybrid, with speakers and participants joining from both Zoom and in-person. The venue for the in-person attendance is: Lecture Hall 2U01, Leopoldstr. 13, Munich.
- Prof. Dr. Chanda Prescod-Weinstein, New-Hampshire (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr. Margit Weber, LMU Munich (email@example.com)
- Prof. Dr. Hiromi Yokoyama, Kavli IPMU (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Veronica Errasti Diez, LMU Munich & ORIGINS (email@example.com)
- Elisa G. M. Ferreira, Kavli IPMU & IF-USP (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Alessandra Gnecchi, MPP
- Ina Haneburger, ORIGINS
- Michael Nies, ORIGINS
- Viktoriia Orlova, ORIGINS
- Sandra Schmid-Willers, ORIGINS
- Odele Straub, ORIGINS
- Alice M. Smith-Gicklhorn, LMU Munich & ORIGINS